New Teacher Spotlight: Ariane Berelowitch

Selma Ulm

Ms. Berelowitch in her new 10th and 11th grade English classroom.

Azusa Lippit, Around School Editor

Ariane Berelowitch graduated from CRLS in 2010 and is now back to teach 10th and 11th grade English.

Register Forum: What inspired you to become a teacher? Why did you choose English?

Ariane Berolowitch: I love reading a lot. And I love talking about books, I love talking about stories, I love talking about people, and I love talking about the world, and I think that English class has room for all of that. And I really love how challenging writing can be as well; I think it’s really exciting to express yourself fully, and it takes a lot of work, but it’s very rewarding.

RF: What did you take away from your time as a student at CRLS?

AB: So much. I loved going to CRLS. For a long time, I thought it might be strange to come back and teach at the school that I went to. But I had a very positive experience here. I was involved in a lot of activities—I did sports, I did theatre, I did some music, I did student government … so I felt that I connected with the school in a lot of different ways, and it’s very special to be back in a new role at this school.

RF: Was there one CRLS teacher who particularly impacted you?

AB: I would have to say Natasha Labaze. I took three of her classes throughout high school, so she taught me most of the things that I know about English. Then when I came back to do my student teaching at CRLS, she was my mentor teacher, so she taught me so much about teaching. I think that beyond academics, she also has guided me in becoming the type of role model and educator that I had hoped to be, and I feel very lucky to be on the same floor as her now.

It’s really exciting to express yourself fully, and it’s a lot of work, but it’s very rewarding.

RF: What is your favorite book?

AB: All-time favorite is hard for me. I’m rereading Franny and Zooey, which I have loved for a long time, and I read Americanah not that long ago and loved reading that. I had been saving it and waiting to read it because I knew that I loved her work. And I love 100 Years of Solitude.

RF: What is your favorite book to recommend to students?

AB:  A book that I have been recommending a lot in the first few days of school is I’ll Give You the Sun, so if anybody wants to borrow it, I have several copies. I think it’s a great book, and it’s told from multiple perspectives at different times. The narrators are these two twins, so it’s interesting to flip back and forth. And I definitely recommend the Autobiography of Malcolm X, it’s very engaging but also very thought-provoking.

RF: if you could meet one author, dead or alive, who would it be?

AB: I think I would want to meet Adrienne Maree Brown, who wrote Emergent Strategy. She does a lot of activism and leads a lot of group work around changing the world and envisioning the future, and I think it would be both an honor to meet her and a really educational experience.

This piece also appears in our September 2019 print edition.