Sisters on the Runway Shines

William Reed, Layout Designer

On April 28th, CRLS singers, dancers, speech-makers, and volunteer models were some of the performers at the annual Sisters on the Runway Fashion Show at the MIT Stratton Student Center’s La Salas de Puerto Rico Hall.

The Sisters on the Runway (SOTR) club focuses on raising awareness for victims of domestic violence by taking part in campaigns throughout the year and holding fundraisers to raise money for the Transition House, a local shelter for victims of domestic abuse. The club’s largest event and biggest fundraiser for Transition House is the annual runway show in the spring, for which club members spend months planning. The show is a popular event that CRLS students, families, and faculty readily attend yearly.

This year, the club raised over $2,000 from donations, raffle money, and tickets on the day of the show. Attendees could purchase raffle tickets for the chance to win an assortment of prizes, such as gift cards to Broadway Marketplace and Flour Bakery, a Marimekko shopping event, a Joie de Vivre (local Cambridge store) gift basket, and a bundle of Iggy’s bread. All of the proceeds that came from the tickets for the show, raffle, and donations went to Transition House.

We were doing something great for an even greater cause.

— Maya Counter '20, a model for the show

This year’s fashion show theme was “Decades” and featured outfits styled and modeled by CRLS students. Some outfits included sequined attire, colorful shirts and pants, and even a silk shafan cape.  The vice president of the club, Lucy Messineo-Witt ’19, reflected, “It was so fun helping out with the show the past three years, but getting to actually design it was amazing. … Using creativity for a good cause is what our club is all about.”

As CRLS student models made their way down the long room surrounded by students, parents, and friends, the audience members did not fail in bringing a warm welcome and cheerful energy to the floor. “I enjoyed seeing how well-suited the outfits were for each decade, but what I loved most was knowing that we were doing something great for an even greater cause,” said junior Maya Counter about her experience modeling during the show. “I can’t wait to do it again next year.”

Club president Robie Scola ’19 reflected on the club’s production, stating that “the show was amazing.” She continued, saying, “I’m so proud of all my dedicated club members. I love them.”

Scola will be attending Wesleyan University next year and wants to be involved in other groups there that fight domestic violence. The club leaders next year will be juniors Yiyi Chen, Natalia Bechthold, and Juliana Vandermark.

This piece also appears in our May 2019 print edition.