The Register Forum

RF Athlete of the Month: Ella Simonsen

Ella+Simonsen+
Back to Article
Back to Article

RF Athlete of the Month: Ella Simonsen

Ella Simonsen

Ella Simonsen

Sakib Asraf

Ella Simonsen

Sakib Asraf

Sakib Asraf

Ella Simonsen

Charlie Bonney, Sports Editor

Ella Simonsen, a junior, is the captain of the CRLS girls basketball team and a goalie for the girls Lacrosse team.

Register Forum: What does it mean to be a CRLS athlete and a multi-sport athlete?

Ella Simonsen: To be a CRLS athlete, it really

means a lot to be part of a community and a program that is bigger than myself. It’s a way for me to invest my time doing something I love and to spend that [time] with people who care about the same things as me. Also, I’m a multi-sport athlete—I love playing all of my sports. Not only does it keep me active and healthy, but it also exposes me to many different kinds of people and a lot of different experiences. I highly recommend playing multiple sports for everyone even if they have never played a sport before—just picking up something.

RF: How do you act as a leader for your teams?

ES: As a captain of the basketball team, I was placed in a position of leadership as a junior. I focused my energy, especially because I couldn’t play all season, on being really supportive and helping my teammates get ready to play each game. In lacrosse, I act like a leader by remaining really encouraging. Just lots of encouragement—“you got this,” “keep going,” “good job,” that kind of stuff.

RF: How do you get ready for games?

ES: While I’m warming up and right before the game, I like to get super pumped up. I listen to music and sometimes I’ll jump around and have fun with my teammates. Then, right before the game, I do breathing exercises to calm myself down and focus so I can have that balance of energy and also stay calm, cool, [and] collected.

RF: How do you hope to finish this year and your senior year in basketball and lacrosse?

ES: Well, this year in lacrosse, I hope to improve my skills as a goalie. As a team, I think that it is realistic for us to strive to get better, just to be pushing each other. Next year, I really hope for everyone to have fun, work hard together and try to become stronger, faster, and better in any way we can as a team.

This piece also appears in our April 2019 print edition.

About the Contributors
Charlie Bonney, Sports Editor

What elementary school did you go to?

Shady Hill School

What other activities are you involved in at CRLS and/or in the community?

Model UN, Soccer...

Sakib Asraf, Photography Editor

What elementary school did you go to?

Baldwin

I'm an active member...

The Student Newspaper of Cambridge Rindge and Latin
RF Athlete of the Month: Ella Simonsen