A Day in the Life of Librarian Kendall Boninti

They check out books, they answer questions at the desk, and they organize the library—but the CRLS librarians do so much more work than that. The Register Forum got to spend a day with Ms. Boninti, one of these librarians. In order to become a librarian like Ms. Boninti, you need not just a college degree, but a Master’s as well. Ms. Boninti’s two degrees allow her to teach students about technology on top of just being a librarian.

Ms. Boninti just returned this year from maternity leave. She usually gets to school around 7:20 AM and drops her little girl Magnolia off at 7:30 AM at the First Steps daycare at the high school. She opens the library at 7:40 AM to help students, answer questions, and organize the library so that students and staff can use it in the morning. Sometimes, she is so busy that she eats breakfast while opening the library.

Willa Rudel

Ms. Boninti has a really flexible schedule, so every day is different. She is not like other teachers who have the same classes during the same period each day. A possible schedule she could have would be teaching a class to use resources in first period and having a free second period. During third period, Ms. Boninti might be found collaborating with teachers for a classroom resources project. Often, she works with the AVID program during fourth period.

Even when Ms. Boninti has a free period, she can be found ordering books for the library, helping students and teachers to find books or to print materials, updating the library website, creating online tutorials for students and teachers, creating resources for upcoming research and projects, collaborating with classroom teachers, and planning events for the library. She also writes grants for the library and promotes the library on social media, as well as meets with clubs for help and library resources.

Ms. Boninti loves her job because she gets to work with high school students without having to grade them. Even when the day is busier than ever, she absolutely loves what she does.

This piece also appears in our April 2019 print edition.