EHChocolatier Opens a New Shop in West Cambridge

Ada Carter

EHChocolatier is a new local chocolate and candy shop in Huron Village.

Azusa Lippit, Contributing Writer

EHChocolatier officially opened its doors at 145 Huron Avenue on February 1st, already met with many eager customers drawn in by the colorful balloons and neatly displayed candies. An inviting glass storefront encloses a mouth-watering selection of chocolates and candy bars, all made just next door in its adjoining kitchen. Customers can take a look into the tantalizing chocolate-and-caramel-making process through a large window from the shop itself, with trays of chocolate bonbons being whisked around various parts of the kitchen.

All of their ingredients are fresh and natural, and they work in small batches in order to achieve the best quality possible. Artfully decorated treats often signify the flavor inside with a color, like the passion fruit chocolates topped with yellow and pink strawberry meltaways. EHChocolatier has had a shop in Somerville since 2010 which has proved very successful, winning multiple Best of Boston awards as well as New York Times’ “Best in the Box,” but is very excited to join the Cambridge community for the first time.

Co-founder and owner Elaine Hsieh has lived in the Observatory Hill/Huron Village neighborhood of Cambridge since the ’80s and “always wanted to open up a shop nearby.” Hsieh got her confectionary start just making treats for family and friends over the holidays. After the sweets were very well received by these friends, she was able to eventually convince her long-time friend-turned-business-partner Catherine Sweeney to make it a collaborative full-time job, which led to the opening of their shop in Somerville.

A mother of two seventeen-year-olds, Hsieh would love to welcome more teenagers into the shop. Though some of the larger boxes can be a little more on the expensive side for the average high school student, there are some inexpensive treats aimed at a lower price range, and the price is definitely worth it for the occasional smaller chocolate for yourself or nice favor for a friend or parent. Large glass jars with $1 caramels are located by the register, with flavors including chocolate, earl gray, and honey, perfect for using up after-school change or an extra dollar from lunch. Hsieh’s favorite chocolate that they make and sell depends on her mood, but she recommends their pecan clusters, brown butter toffee, and caramelized white bars.

Stop by whether you’re looking for a formal gift or an afternoon treat, some incredible hot chocolate mix, or even simply a warm exchange with their delightfully friendly staff and owners.

This piece also appears in our February 2019 print edition.