Club Day Offers New Opportunities

Students Explore New Clubs Offered at CRLS

William Reed, Layout Designer

CRLS’ annual Club Day returned to the Media Cafe and Bagel Benches on September 26th and 27th. Full of eager students hustling and bustling their way around, all lunches were used to explore the many clubs and organizations Rindge has to offer. Organized by the Student Government Association, Club Day gives students the opportunity to look at clubs they find interesting and could potentially take part in.

From Intersectional Feminist Club, to Ski Club, to Environmental Action Club, more than 50 clubs are offered here at Rindge, all ranging in commitment and in topic.

Different clubs set up booths with passionate representatives, decorated posters, and sign-up sheets aimed at informing students about the clubs and answering any of the questions students may have. With enthusiasm, Senior Class President Maeve Reilly, who had a critical role in the planning of club day, said, “At Club Day, you could feel the enthusiastic spirit in the air.”

A lot of students at Rindge feel that Club Day is really helpful in seizing many of the different opportunities CRLS has to offer. Freshman Andrew Millar, who attended this annual event for the first time, said his experience was “fun and helpful, I got to know CRLS in a way I never had before. … I never knew there could be so many [clubs] in one school.”

Club Day serves as an excellent way to get underclassmen to join clubs. With an established upperclassmen population in most extracurriculars, freshmen and sophomores are the target group for clubs looking to expand their reach. Many students, including Millar, hear about Club Day from friends, teachers, members of clubs, and different kinds of announcements made in school. Robie Scola ’19, president of the Sisters on the Runway club, told her freshmen mentees, “Club Day is a great way to get involved. There’s a reason why Club Day occurs so early in the year, it’s easy to take advantage of all the amazing opportunities here at CRLS.” Scola continued, stating “[Club Day] is a great way for freshmen to get a real feel of the school and how diverse it really is.”

Although the excitement of Club Day attracts many, some find it to be quite overwhelming and hard to navigate. Senior Abby Panzica ponders Club Day, describing it as, “stressful yet fun?”

While Club Day may seem a bit stressful, most students are able to find at least one club that attracts them simply because there are so many to choose from. Some students even attempt to make new clubs when they feel it’s necessary to add to the diversity of our school.

Seniors Anthony Grassi and Rory Millar recently created a club called “Falcons Lead,” focused on bridging the gap between youth sports and high school athletics.

Grassi reflected on his new club, stating, “We wanted to find a way to build bridges between CRLS student athletes and younger athletes, building a stronger and more inclusive sports culture at CRLS.”

Any CRLS student who did not attend Club Day can still participate in clubs. To become a club member after Club Day, junior Sydney Down recommends contacting the club’s advisor or someone on the Club Committee for more information. Clerks in the main office can also help students find clubs and further information on clubs can be found on the CRLS website.

This piece also appears in our October 2018 print edition.