Boys Volleyball Looks to Finish Season Strong

After a Rough Start, the Team Hopes to Turn Their Season Around

Sakib Asraf

The boys volleyball team is competing in the Dual County League with some of the best teams in the state.

Charlie Bonney, Contributing Writer

The CRLS boys volleyball team got off to a rough start this spring season, entering the month of May with an overall record of 3-7 and a league record of 1-5. Coach Kelley Leary is convinced that—given time—the team can improve. “I knew this team would need a lot of work on skill development and game experience. As with any team, you get what you put into it. If the team is dedicated and works hard, the sky’s the limit.”

The team is looking to bounce back and make a push for the playoffs. Although recovering from the poor start will be difficult, co-captain James Kubicek ’18 said, “We’ve been through a lot of ups and downs, but now’s the time where we can make a real push, not only get into the state tournament, but also make some noise once we’re there.”

Fellow captain Samuel Kravitz, shared that same enthusiasm saying that he has “faith that the team will be able to bounce back.” Kravitz, a sophomore, went on to explain how they could turn the season around. “A couple of our starting players have been injured, but them coming back greatly improves our odds of winning some more games.”

The team’s record might also be reflective of the Dual County League’s competitiveness, as the league is loaded with some of the best teams in the state. Acton-Boxborough, Newton South, Wayland, and Lincoln-Sudbury—all schools in the DCL—are ranked among the top 20 teams in the state, according to the Boston Globe. CRLS has endured losses against both Newton South and Acton-Boxborough, but Kravitz stated that he was “confident that neither team is unbeatable.”

Both captains stressed the importance of commitment and working hard. Kubicek said the key to the team’s success is “to be mentally tough and really try to learn and grow everyday.” Kravitz was encouraged by the team’s dedication, saying, “I think that we have a solid core group of players who are committed to the program.”

The team has a large number of underclassmen that are showing promising signs for the future of the boys volleyball program. Coach Leary said, “We only have one senior this year.” She added, “The team has a solid base of young student athletes that are invested in the team growth. The potential for this team moving forward is great.” Kravitz was also excited about the team’s future. “Even if this year doesn’t turn out the way that I had hoped, I am confident that next couple years are something to be looking forward to,” he said.

However the season finishes for Cambridge boys’ volleyball, the program will remain important to many athletes at CRLS. Kubicek, in his last year at CRLS, looked back on his four years on the volleyball team as “something that has been a tremendous joy for me.”

This piece also appears in our May print edition.