Biden Administration Proposes Historic Changes to Federal Student Loan Repayment Plans

Abigail Habtehans, Opinion Editor

The Biden administration has unveiled a groundbreaking plan aimed at making student loan repayment more affordable and manageable for borrowers. The proposed regulations, released by the U.S. Department of Education, introduce a new federal student loan repayment option based on income. The plan not only lowers monthly payments for millions of borrowers, but also expedites student loan forgiveness under income-driven repayment (IDR) plans. This comprehensive initiative seeks to provide relief to borrowers burdened by student loan debt and enable them to build brighter futures for themselves and their families.

Undergraduates with federal student loans will experience the most significant reduction in their loan payments.

The proposed regulations revamp the Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE) plan will replace the current version with a more accessible and beneficial option. Borrowers pay an amount linked to their income, with recalculations made annually. Any remaining balance will then be forgiven after either 20 or 25 years, depending on the plan. Undergraduates with federal student loans will experience the most significant reduction in their loan payments. The upgraded REPAYE plan will increase the federal poverty limit from 150% to 225%, resulting in a larger number of qualifying applicants and a debt decrease of up to 50%. For example, a borrower currently paying $200 per month under REPAYE may see their payment reduced to less than $100 per month under the revised plan. 

The timeline for loan forgiveness will rely on the borrower’s loan composition. Borrowers with only undergraduate loans can achieve forgiveness after 10 or 20 years, depending on their initial balance. Those with any graduate school loans will be on a 25-year timeline for student loan forgiveness. The revamped REPAYE plan remains eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF), allowing borrowers who work for qualifying nonprofit or government organizations to receive forgiveness in as little as 10 years. The Education Department plans to phase out new enrollments in the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and Income-Contingent Repayment (ICR) plans, simplifying the repayment process. Borrowers already enrolled in these plans can remain in them, but may not be able to switch back to them once they have transitioned to the new REPAYE plan.

Even borrowers with a $0 payment will be protected from ballooning balances.

One of the major advantages of the new repayment plan is the elimination of interest accrual beyond the borrower’s calculated student loan payment. This change prevents borrowers from seeing their loan balances grow due to interest accumulating faster than their payment amount. Even borrowers with a $0 payment will be protected from ballooning balances. The proposed regulations by the Biden Administration herald a transformative approach to federal student loan repayment by making monthly payments more affordable and introducing faster pathways to loan forgiveness.

Biden’s new student loan plan has stirred massive controversy and sparked concerns among various groups. Supporters see it as a way to alleviate the burden of student debt and increase access to higher education, while others worry about its potential cost and long-term implications. Congress attempted to veto the bill, expressing concerns over its impact on the economy and the fairness of loan forgiveness. However, President Biden vetoed their attempt, emphasizing the pressing need to address the student loan crisis and provide relief to millions of borrowers. The ongoing debate surrounding the plan highlights the complexity of the issue and the divergent viewpoints on how to tackle the challenges associated with student loan debt.