A Look into Interact Club’s Upcoming Service Opportunities

Agustina Leon Perdomo

Interact Club offers students community service opportunities.

Agustina Leon Perdomo, Contributing Writer

Agustina Leon Perdomo is a member of Interact Club’s leadership team.

Many Rindge students want to get involved in the community but don’t know where to start. With a close-knit leadership team and members constantly working to find and create the best community service opportunities for their student body, Interact Club finds accessible volunteer work throughout Cambridge. 

Interact Club constantly provides opportunities, and our club members get first pick! Coming up this Earth Day weekend is a group clean-up with other environmentally conscious clubs at CRLS, a fundraiser for Turkey and Syria aid following the earthquake, and an opportunity to show your favorite seniors some love with hand-written and delivered notes. All year round we have artist submissions to Polyglart, a Harvard website created for bi- and multilingual artists to upload any original works depicting their relationship to language, for a sliding scale of community service hours. This summer, Polyglart will be holding a week-long summer program at the Foundry, a community space for Cambridge creatives, for which bi- and multilingual students can sign up to work on developing a project representing their relationship to language and language learning, and have an in-house gallery on their seventh day.

Interact Club finds accessible volunteer work throughout Cambridge.

Since the beginning of Interact Club’s time at CRLS, we’ve collaborated with the Margaret Fuller House, assisting in restocking their pantry. Long-time MFH Volunteer Semir Seid ’24 shared to the Register Forum that “Interact Club is a pretty fun community with very nice people, and if you need volunteer hours or just a place to get to know new people, it’s a great place to go to.” You can sign-up to be a point person for a month to receive extra community service hours and guide your fellow Interact club volunteers to build that team spirit! Another Interact volunteer who participated in our MLK Day community walk, Catalina Lozada ’25, told the Register Forum that, “Interact club is an amazing way to give back to the greater Cambridge community and makes sure that you are constantly in the loop of helping others in any way that you can.” Our volunteers make our club as fulfilling for us and our partners as it is for them. For any past, current, or future volunteers, community service forms yet to be completed should be signed by Janani Nathan; you can pick up forms from her office in LC L as well.

Interact’s leadership team consists of myself, Ayanna Thomas-Vital ’24, Fatima Mirghani ’25, Amy Kim ’24, and Rose Ferjuste ’25. Thomas-Vital expressed how “being on the Interact leadership team is both an honor and responsibility. Organizing community service opportunities is a powerful way to bring people together and create positive change.” With monthly club meetings on Wednesdays at 3:05 in room 3105, you can propose service ideas and impact your city as well, all while being the earliest to our sign-up sheets. Our Google Classroom code is hmcn4rm. Interact looks forward to new volunteers and the future of our club! For more details, head over to our Google Classroom or email [email protected] or [email protected].

This article also appears in our April 2023 print edition.