Administration Response

The opinion pieces submitted by the BSU highlight challenging experiences for students at CRLS. I am grateful to the BSU for sharing their concerns. It is clear from the BSU opinion pieces and recent experiences in the CRLS community that there is still much work to be done. This fall, and last school year, CRLS administrative leaders have engaged with BSU members, as well as other student leaders, to address concerns presented in the document. Actions that school administrative
leaders have taken follows:

1) CRLS staff and administrative leaders value student identification of Room 1604 as a safe space for students. Last school year, after a BSU poster was defaced and torn on the door of Room 1604, CRLS administrators coordinated with the BSU to develop a student-staff gathering to assess the impact and determine next steps. This gathering was attended by CRLS students, staff, and administrators and resulted in many educators posting the BSU logo and phrases of support on many classroom doors throughout the school. Most of the logos and supportive phrases remain on doors this school year, and the BSU logo is displayed in many classes throughout campus.

2) This school year, CRLS administrative leaders attended a joint meeting with BSU and CRLS Student Government to discuss the practice of holding detention after school. Student concerns were shared and school leaders offered their perspectives on detention. The meeting did not end with a moratorium on detention as students suggested, but administrative leaders communicated their willingness to continue conversations and share demographic student data with Student Government
and BSU about after-school detention.

3) In the 2019-2020 school year, BSU members, as well as other CRLS students, served on a joint student-staff district working group that focused on microaggressions and student reports. The group reviewed and made changes to the CPS/CRLS Incident Reporting process. Features of the reporting process and expectations for students/ staff who file reports can be found on the
CRLS website.

4) Like the videos that preceded it, BSU’s Minority Reports Volume #4 is a powerful testimonial on the experiences and thoughts of members of the group. The lasting message from the video is that the community wants the BSU to stand for “Be Silent You.” This sentiment runs counter to the actions that have been taken. When issues have surfaced many school leaders,
students, and staff have worked with and increased their commitment in support of the BSU and students of color at CRLS. Programs and practices have shown promising results, and others will need additional time to bear evidence. And there is still more work to be done. CRLS administrative leaders and staff look forward to additional opportunities to work in collaboration with BSU members and other student leaders to improve the CRLS experience.

The Register Forum • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in