The Register Forum

Milk Bar Comes to Harvard Square After Much Anticipation

Renowned Ice Cream Store Opens Up Shop to Throngs of Cantabrigians

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cantabridgians and tourists alike are excited about the opening of Milk Bar in Harvard Square.

Lucy Messineo-Witt

Lucy Messineo-Witt

Lucy Messineo-Witt

Maria Carimini, Contributing Writer

On Saturday, February 2nd, Harvard Square went crazy for the delicious cookies and ice cream from Milk Bar, a renowned bakery by Christina Tosi that recently opened up in Cambridge.

Despite the cold, many Harvard residents were more than happy to wait in line for the “special” cookies, milkshakes, ice cream, and cakes. Many are in love with the new restaurant, and people of all ages seem interested and happy about this new opening.

What is so special about Milk Bar? The kindness of the servers, the music played in the store, and their unique and original menu items. Julia Sullivan, a senior at CRLS, said, “They make cookies differently and both the cookies and cakes are good; they have a different texture.”

Their ice cream is also different from what is sold at traditional ice cream shops. They leave milk and cereal in a bowl together for 20 minutes, so that the milk absorbs the sweet flavor that cereal has. Then, they use that milk to make the ice cream. Thanks to Tosi’s book, “Milk,” anyone can read about the way they make their ice cream, as well as much more information about their various recipes.

Although lines have been trailing outside the store ever since its opening, it seems like just a few from CRLS have stepped inside. Isabelle Klein, a sophomore at CRLS, said, “I haven’t been there yet, but I am looking forward to go because it seems cool.”

What is so special about Milk Bar? The kindness of the servers and the music in the background while people eat the original ice cream.”

Just like Klein, many students, including sophomore Nina Flores, have gained interest in Milk Bar simply while walking by its store, which is located in a central part of Harvard Square. She explained, “I’ve never been inside, but it seems cool and a good place for young people to go.”

This ice cream is catching lots of attention in the Square and at CRLS. Even just after hearing about Milk Bar, many students have made plans to visit the bakery, including sophomore Tabitha Walker. She stated, “I would definitely go; I am excited!”

The reason why the store has already caused a craze is because of the past successes of other Milk Bars in DC, NYC and Virginia. Lots of Cambridge residents were already aware of their desserts through friends and social media. After hearing about the newest Harvard Square location, they were eager to try it out for themselves. In fact, many customers already had heard about Tosi and considered her to be a “star.”

Thanks to the new opening, the month of February started off with countless people carrying the bakery’s merchandise around the Square. Many who have been there remain very satisfied—especially with their cookies.

Khanzada-Marie Kurbanova, a senior at CRLS, said, “I love to try new experiences, and I want to try what they have at Milk [Bar] and compare it with the other places in Harvard Square.”

Many students have already joined the crowd and tried out Milk Bar’s products. Now, it’s your turn to go try this special ice cream and cookies of the Square, which are making people go crazy!

This piece also appears in our February 2019 print edition.

The Student Newspaper of Cambridge Rindge and Latin