The Register Forum

Drugs & Drama in “The Mule”: Clint Eastwood Still Shines

Back to Article
Back to Article

"The Mule" stars Clint Eastwood as a 90-year-old drug mule for an infamous cartel.

Megan Kelliher

Megan Kelliher

Megan Kelliher

William Reed and Charlie Reed

Falcon rating: 3.5/5

Mistakes are normal—people make them every day. No person is without flaw, and a misstep is usually understandable. However, when not in control, mistakes can lead to disaster. Because mistakes are mostly under the surface at the beginning, they can abruptly rise to the top in times of increased anguish.

In Clint Eastwood’s The Mule, a drastic mistake is made that affects many people. Earl Stone (Clint Eastwood) is a 90-year-old husband, father, and business owner who, because of his poor choices, doesn’t have much to live for. His daughter doesn’t speak to him, his small business is in jeopardy, and his home is in the last stage of foreclosure. Appearing as a surly old gardening expert, Stone, in the final stages of life, has become perhaps the most reliable drug runner for the Sinaloa Cartel, evading detection for nearly a decade because of his lack of a criminal record and easy going personality.

Stone becomes a drug runner after meeting a man with cartel connections at his granddaughter’s engagement party. Because of his love for driving and the fact that he had no prior legal missteps, the 90-year-old man makes the perfect transporter of large amounts of illegal drugs for the Sinaloa Cartel. While juggling his deteriorating relationship with a distant family that he misses, and taking part in unending road trips transporting drugs, Earl Stone continues this way of life for a decent amount of time. Gaining purpose with his new money, Stone finally finds some determination in his choices, despite being unable to refuse the money.

The Mule features an esteemed cast, including Bradley Cooper, Laurence Fishburne, Dianne Wiest, and Andy Garcia. Age has clearly not affected Eastwood’s abilities in neither acting nor directing—he’s still got it, vivaciously capturing the essence of his characters without effort. Having previously explored similar themes of love, anguish, the inevitability of mortality, and forgiveness throughout his other works, Eastwood has directed an action-packed yet heartwarming film. However, despite the exhilarating plot and interesting personal drama, the film was a bit slow at times and lacked character development.

We would recommend this movie to any viewers who seek out new and different films, and, of course, to anyone who appreciates Clint Eastwood’s past works.

This piece also appears in our January print edition.

About the Writers
William Reed, Layout Designer

What elementary school did you go to?

Shady Hill School

What other activities are you involved in at CRLS and/or in the community?

Cambridge Youth...

Charlie Reed, Contributing Writer

What elementary school did you go to?

Shady Hill School

Boys soccer

If...

The Student Newspaper of Cambridge Rindge and Latin