Club Day Celebrates Extracurricular Activity at CRLS

Honor O’Shaughnessy, Contributing Writer

On September 27th and 28th during all lunches, the CRLS media cafe and bagel benches were bustling with students of all grades who were interested in exploring Club Day. Club Day, organized by Student Government, gives students an opportunity to decide what clubs they may be interested in joining.

More than fifty clubs are offered at Rindge, typically focusing on culture, community service, and hobbies. At Club Day, many of these clubs are featured at booths run by enthusiastic members of the club where students can sign up and ask questions. Junior Grace Austin, who helps to organize Club Day, says she loves “the energy … Everyone is excited to try new things and so many different parts of CRLS are exhibited.”

Many students feel that CRLS offers clubs that interest them and that Club Day is helpful in discovering these clubs. Leo Austin-Spooner, a freshman who attended the annual event, commented on his experience at Club Day, saying he truly “had a really good time wandering around and talking to people about their clubs.”

Students, including Austin-Spooner, often hear about Club Day from teachers, members of clubs, and announcements made throughout the school. For example, junior Gilli Danenberg, who is the co-leader of the Jewish Heritage Club, says she told her freshman mentees “how important it is to get involved because it is so easy to get lost in high school.” Danenberg continued, encouraging students to attend Club Day, saying, “Club Day is vital [at] CRLS because it is a way for freshmen … to get to know the school, its people, and its culture.”

Students often feel pressured to join clubs and the crowded booths at Club Day can be overwhelming for many. Junior Jemma Kepner reflected on Club Day, describing it as “a bit of a whirlwind.”

Austin-Spooner agreed, saying, “There are an insane amount of clubs to choose from.” However, he added that the chaos of Club Day demonstrates the amount of “interesting opportunities there are at school.”

Most of the time, students are able to find a club that attracts them, although this is not always the case. Students usually attempt to create new clubs when they do not find their niche or when they feel that it is essential for a certain club to be added.

The Club Committee was created by Vice-Principal Tynes at the end of last year and is comprised of members from the largest clubs in school. The committee was created to receive student input during the club creation process in order to make the procedure more efficient.

Any CRLS student who did not attend Club Day can still participate in clubs. To become a club member after Club Day, senior Jahnavi Zondervan recommends contacting the club’s advisor or someone on the Club Committee for more information. Clerks in the main office can also help students find clubs and further information on clubs can be found on the CRLS website.

Kepner reminds students, “It is never ‘too late’ to start [attending] a club!”

This piece also appears in our October print edition.